Your Koldfront though the wall air conditioner is designed to be installed in conjunction with a wall sleeve. If you are installing your new Koldfront air conditioner into an existing wall sleeve, please check to confirm that the wall sleeve is in sound structural condition and that is sized appropriately to accommodate your Koldfront air conditioner. The Koldfront Through the Wall Air Conditioner Sleeve (Model: WTCSLV) is designed specifically for Koldfront's line of through the wall air conditioners and can be purchased at www.EdgeStar.com
These instructions apply to the following Koldfront Through the Wall Air Conditioner models: WTC8001W, WTC12001W, WTC8002WCO, WTC10002WCO115V, WTC10012WCO230V, WTC12002WCO115V, WTC12012WCO230V, WTC14012WCO230V
Basic Installation Steps:
- Prepare Wall Sleeve
- Install rear Louver Panel / Grille into Wall Sleeve
- Attach Seals inside wall sleeve
- Prepare grounding wire
- Insert Air Conditioner Unit into Wall Sleeve and attach Ground Wire
- Complete Installation by inserting main seal and attaching trim kit
Keys to proper installation:
- Wall sleeve is secure and properly sealed to the wall.
- Unit has a slight rearward slope within wall sleeve for proper drainage (use tapered foam blocks).
- Air conditioner unit is centered in wall sleeve and sealed (with foam pads) to prevent air leakage.
NOTE: To avoid risk of injury and/or product/property damage, please take the following precautions:
- Two or more people are needed to properly handle and install.
- Use proper lifting and carrying techniques.
- Before installation, make sure to inspect the window and sill to ensure they are able to handle the weight and size of this unit.
- Wearing protective gloves will help to avoid injury from sharp edges.
Before you begin, make sure you have all the parts and tools necessary for installation.
IMPORTANT: When installation is complete, the air conditioning unit MUST have a rearward slope as shown in the image below to ensure proper drainage. This is accomplished by using the Tapered Support Blocks as noted in the “Attach Seals” step.
Click the below link to download a full copy of all installation instructions:
Through The Wall Air Conditioner Installation Instructions
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS:
Prepare Wall Sleeve
Follow the instructions in the installation manual for your wall sleeve. If a wall sleeve was previously installed, please thoroughly clean the wall sleeve and verify that it is in secure working order and that it has been properly sealed.
For help installing your Koldfront Wall Sleeve please refer to the following article:
How do I assemble and install my Koldfront Wall Sleeve: Model WTCSLV?
Install rear Louver Panel / Grille
To properly install your new Koldfront Through The Wall Air Conditioner into a wall sleeve, it is required that you use the Rear Louver Panel / Grille that was shipped with your new air conditioning unit. This will ensure proper air flow from the back of the unit. If your installation utilizes a previously installed wall sleeve, please replace the Rear Louver Panel / Grille with the one provided with your new air conditioner.
With the wall sleeve properly assembled, it is now time to prepare the wall sleeve enclosure for the air conditioner unit. The process involves positioning seals and foam support blocks inside of the wall sleeve enclosure in order to enable a proper fit for the air conditioning unit.
IMPORTANT: The below instructions are to be used in conjunction with the Koldfront Wall Sleeve model WTCSLV. Instructions for other compatible wall sleeves can be found in the “Alternate and Supplemental Installation Instructions” found in this document.
4. Prepare Ground Wire
To properly ground the air conditioner unit, the ground wire must be secured to the frame of the wall sleeve. When the air conditioner unit is placed inside of the wall sleeve, this ground wire will be attached to the air conditioner frame to allow for proper grounding of the air conditioner unit.
NOTE: This step may require the use of a drill with a 1/8” drill bit. If your wall sleeve has been previously installed, there may be no requirement to drill a new hole for the grounding screw. If using the Koldfront wall sleeve (model WTCSLV), the hole should be pre-drilled for you. Also, please note that additional fastener types may have been included and may be used to suit your particular installation setup.
Install Air Conditioner Unit into Wall Sleeve
With the wall sleeve fully prepared, you are now ready to insert the air conditioner unit into the wall sleeve. Two or more people may be required for this step.
With the air conditioner installed into the Wall Sleeve and the ground wire properly attached, it is time to complete installation by inserting the Main Insulating Seal (stuffer seal) and attaching the Trim Frame.
Alternate and Supplemental Installation Instructions
The below instructions may be referenced for scenarios in which the standard installation procedures cannot be followed.
Install Rear Louver Panel / Grille Directly on Back of Air Conditioner
If your installation scenario does not allow you to attach the Rear Louver Panel / Grille to the Wall Sleeve you may carefully secure the Panel directly to the rear of the Air Conditioner unit.
- Attach 1” x 3/8” x 14” seal pieces.
- Position Grille over rear or air conditioner ensuring that:
- The double set of screw holes are on the bottom.
- The Grille fins are pointed away from unit.
- Align the top of the Grille with the top of the air conditioner unit.
- Holes should be pre-drilled, but if required, carefully pre-drill 4 (four) 1/8” holes through the Grille and into the side flange of the air conditioner cabinet frame approximately 1 ½” – 2” from the top and bottom.
- Attach Grille to unit with 4 (four) self-tapping screws.
- Install unit into sleeve.
Non-Koldfront Wall Sleeve Types
The below diagrams may be used as a reference when installing your Koldfront Through The Wall Air Conditioner into a non-Koldfront branded Wall Sleeve. Regardless of brand, please ensure your wall sleeve is securely installed into the wall opening and is properly sealed. Additionally, as noted previously, please ensure that your air conditioner is installed with a slight rearward tilt to allow for proper drainage.
Click the link below to download a full copy of all installation instructions: